Last time I told you that I was setting up a Pligg site for my new video game site, wastingtimegames.com. This is second in a series of posts where I will explain how to get a working customized Pligg site.
To install Pligg you will first need to download the files from pligg.com. The most current release is 1.0.0 RC2. Once you download the .zip file you will need to unzip all of the files into a folder.
To get the rest of the software installed you will just need to follow the below directions, taken from the Pligg readme file.
- Create a mysql database. If you are unfamiliar with how to create a mysql database, please contact your web host or search their support site. Please pay careful attention when creating a database and write down your database name, username, password, and host somewhere.
- Rename settings.php.default to settings.php. Do the same for /libs/dbconnect.php.default.
- Upload the files to your server (please note that your server will need to be running PHP 4.3.0 or higher).
- CHMOD 755 the following folders, if they give you errors try 777.
- /languages/ (And all of the files contained in this folder should be CHMOD 777)
- CHMOD 666 the following files
- Open /install/index.php in your web browser. If you are reading this document after you uploaded it to your server, click on the install link at the top of the page.
- Select a language from the list.
- Fill out your database name, username, password, host, and your desired table prefix.
- Create an admin account. Please write down the login credentials for future reference.
- Make sure there are no error messages!
- Delete your /install folder.
- CHMOD 644 libs/dbconnect.php
- Open /index.php
- Log in to the admin account using the credentials generated during the install process.
- Log in to the admin panel ( /admin ) and you will then be presented with information intruducing you to Pligg.
- Configure your Pligg site to your liking. Don't forget to use the Modify Language page to change your site's name.
Once you are done with these steps you'll have a basic Pligg site running. Next time I'll explain how to change the language features and install modules.