We had a great session today that was comprised of 10 “lightning rounds” each lasting about 5 minutes.
- Smushit.com – a web based tool that automates image optimization. You specify a URL, or batch upload images and smushit can greatly reduce the file size of your images without sacrificing any quality. A Firefox extension also exists to allow you to easily optimize the images on any page you visit.
- Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 – the latest web development tool from Adobe, which was just recently released. You can expect to see some great new features in this version, including:
- Workspace customization – coder, designer, compact preset workspaces
- Live Code view – let’s you see changes to the document in real-time as you interact with it.
- Comet – discussed technique for Ajax push asynchronous message delivery from the server to the client
- Firebug. Enough said, if you don’t know what it is, go here.
- Making web apps faster – Steve Souders discussed manual vs. programmatic scripting to time web pages using Episodes, a proposed framework. Read more about Episodes.
- Hacking Netflix – Netflix API to be released soon (this week), more info will be available at:
- shiftspace.org – client-side JS and interface